GroupID 8 - Automate, Management Shell
Using GroupID Automate and the Self-Service portal, users can create security groups and distribution lists. By default, the owner of a distribution group is the user who creates the group. This user is delegated as group owner by the Active Directory ManagedBy property.
However, you can use GroupID Management Console or the Management Shell to change the owner for multiple groups.
Use GroupID Management Console:
- In GroupID Management Console, select Automate > All Groups (or click any other view in the right pane).
- To get a list of the required groups, you can apply a filter.
- To select multiple groups in the list, hold down the CTRL key and select individual groups or hold down the SHIFT key and select a range of groups.
- Right-click the selected groups, point to Set Owner and select one of the following options:
- Me [your logged-on user name], to set yourself as the primary owner for the selected groups.
- [Most recently used recipient set as primary owner (if any)], to set this recipient as the primary owner for the selected groups.
- Other..., to select a different recipient as the primary owner. Clicking this option displays the Set Owner dialog box where you can locate and select the recipient to set as the primary owner for the selected groups.
See this 15-second video:
Use GroupID Management Shell:
The following command will get all the groups in the specified container and will set Rick Mills as their owner.
|Get-Group -SearchContainer " OU=Corp Groups,OU=Corp,DC=box,DC=com"| Set-Group -ManagedBy " CN=Rick.Mills,OU=Engineering,OU=Corp,DC=box,DC=com" |OUT-NULL|
In the example above, we used the Get-Group and Set-Group cmdlets. Get-Group can also search or get groups based on LDAP filter or Smart filter.
Here is another example:
|Get-Group -SmartFilter "(SecurityType = Private)" | Set-Group –ManagedBy CN=JohnSmith,DC=HR,DC=Imanami,DC=US" | OUT-NULL|
For more help on the cmdlets, run Get-help <cmdlet> -detailed in GroupID Management Shell or refer to the document, GroupID Management Shell Guide.