GroupID 8 - Self-Service
You want to allow your end users to upload their photos in Active Directory.
Microsoft messaging and collaboration applications use the Active Directory attribute, thumbnailPhoto, to show user/contact pictures, such as in the Outlook People Pane, on their SharePoint profile, and on Skype for Business. Using Synchronize, you can upload photos in bulk for all your users (see Synch Photos from File System to Active Directory in Bulk). However, using Self Service, you can empower users to upload their own photos. You can also approve the change via workflow before the photos are populated in Active Directory.
- In GroupID Management Console, select Self-Service > Portals > [required portal] > Designs.
- Select an identity store to customize the portal design for it.
- On the Custom Display Types tab, click the Add button.
- Select the Image option from the Type drop-down list and give it a name. Click OK.
(I have named the display type as Photo. This is the name used to reference the display type in the next steps).
- Now specify suitable values for height, width, and maximum size, and click OK.
(100 KB is the maximum size.)
- Click the Properties tab, select the User option from the Select Directory Object drop-down list, and then double-click General in the Name list.
- On the Edit Category dialog box, click the Add button in the Fields area.
- From the Field drop-down list, select thumbnailPhoto, give it a suitable display name and select the defined display type, Photo. You should also select appropriate values for Visibility Role and Access Role. Click OK.
- For visibility level, the user photo field would be visible to users of the selected role as well as to roles with a priority value higher than the selected role.
- For access level, users of the selected role as well as of roles with a priority value higher than the selected role can modify the field.
- Back on the Edit Category dialog box, you may use the up arrow and down arrow to re-arrange the position of the fields on the General tab.
- Save these settings.
- Launch the Self-Service portal and click My Profile in the left navigation bar to view the Photo field.
- If the logged-on user’s role has permissions to modify the field, the user will be able to add or change the photo by clicking the Modify button.