You want a report on the usage of distribution groups so that you can identify and expire the groups that are not in use or not needed anymore.
The Mail-enabled groups and the time they were last used report relies upon data harvested by the Group Usage Service. The Group Usage Service processes Exchange/Office 365 message tracking logs and harvests distribution list expansion events. Message tracking must be enabled on all Exchange Servers for Group Usage Service to work.
To configure Group Usage Service, refer to the article, How To: Enumerate Usage of Distribution Groups. Once the service runs, you can view information on the usage of distribution group in the form of a nicely formatted report named Mail-enabled groups and the time they were last used. Below are steps to generate this report.
- In GroupID Management Console, select Reports > By Category > Groups > Mail-enabled groups and the time they were last used (Exchange).
- In the Actions pane, click Create Report. This launches the Create Report wizard.
- On the Introduction page, read the welcome message and click Next.
- On the Select View page, select a format for the report and click Next.
- By default, the wizard searches the Global Catalog for generating the report. On the Define Scope page, you can limit this scope to a particular container. To do this:
- Click Browse to launch the Select Container dialog box and select the required source container.
- Select the Include sub containers check box if you want to include sub-containers for the selected container when reporting.
- In the Edit criteria box, modify the default LDAP filter as required. This filter is used for selecting items from the selected container.
- To add more fields in the report, click Add. This displays the Add a Field to the Report dialog box where you can select the source field and specify a display name for it.
- You can also remove a field from the report by selecting it and clicking Remove.
- You can change the order of these fields by using the Move Up and Move Down buttons.
- Click Next to generate the report with the existing settings.
- Click Back to go to a previous page and make changes.
GroupID Online Help topic: Scheduled Group Usage Service Job