GroupID 8 - Self-Service
Business Use Case:
While creating groups, you want to restrict users to create distribution groups only.
GroupID allows you to customize the Create wizard for Group, Smart Group, User, Contact, and Mailbox. You can add and remove attributes to the Create wizard, while making these attributes mandatory or even hiding them on the wizard. You can also specify default values for attributes and set whether users can modify them or not.
In this article, we will see how we can enforce Group Type as Distribution Groups.
- In GroupID Management Console, select Self-Service > Portals > [required portal] > Designs.
- Select an identity store to customize the portal design for it.
- Click the Create Object tab.
- In the Select Directory Object list, select Group.
- In the Name list, select General and click Edit.
- On the Edit Category dialog box, select Group Type in the Fields area and click Edit.
- On the Edit Field dialog box, click Advanced options.
- Select the Distribution option in the Default Value list to set it as the default selection for group type.
- If you want to enforce the Group Type as Distribution for all users, select the Is Read Only check box or set the Visibility Role to Never.
- However, if you want to enforce the Group Type as Distribution for a specific role (Role C), set the visibility level to a role having a priority value higher than that of Role C. The selected role and roles with a priority value higher than the selected role will be able to modify the default value (i.e., change the group type from a distribution list to a security group). Users falling under Role C and other roles having a priority value lesser than the selected role will not be able to change the default selection.
On the Create Group wizard in the Self-Service portal, the Group Type option will be set to Distribution, so groups can only be created as distribution lists. Users will not be able to change the group type to a security group.
- How To: Make Semi-Private Security Type as default while group creation from SSP
- How To: Configure new object container as default
GroupID Online Help: Customize Create Object Wizards