GroupID 8 – Self-Service
Business Use Case:
We have a created a drop-down list in a Self-Service portal. When we further add values to the list, they appear in the order of addition. How can we sort the values in the drop-down list?
GroupID does not provide the functionality to sort the values in a drop-down list or move the values up and down. This list can, however, be sorted manually using the design file for the portal.
This article applies to both built-in and custom created drop-down lists in the portal. For reference in this article, we are using a built-in drop-down list, lstExpirationPolicy that displays the available expiry policies on the Group Properties page.
To change the order of entries, such that the longer period appears on the top, follow these steps:
- Go to the location:
X:\Program Files\Imanami\GroupID 8.0\SelfService\Inetpub\Portal_Name\Design
(where X represents the GroupID installation drive).
- You will find an XML file for each of the identity stores associated with the portal.
Open the required file in Notepad.
- Search for lstExpirationPolicy. You will find the values that the drop-down list contains under <values>.
- Modify or sort the values as per requirement. In this example, I have reverted the order.
- In GroupID Management Console, select Self-Service > Portals > [Required portal] > Designs. Then select the identity store you edited the design file for.
- On the Custom Display Types tab, double-click the lstExpirationPolicy display type to verify that the changes are reflected there.
- Now browse the portal and verify the sorted values in the Expiration Policy drop-down list.
|Note:||Please take a backup of the portal's design file before making any changes to it.|
GroupID Online Help Topic: Display Type Categories