GroupID 8.x - Synchronize
When a user is created in Active Directory, we assign them a home folder by populating their homeDirectory attribute:
This creates a home folder of the user named after their samAccountName.
Now that we are using GroupID Synchronize to automatically provision users in Active Directory, how can we automatically assign home folders to them?
A home folder is a private network location where users can store personal files. It is stored in a shared folder on a network server. When you create the home folder on a network server, users can access it from any computer on the network.
Follow the steps below to automatically assign a home folder to a user at the time of creation. You can either create a new Synchronize job or modify an existing job.
- In GroupID Management Console, select Synchronize > All Jobs. Either create a new job or double-click an existing job to open the New Job or Edit Job wizard.
- Go through the pages of the wizard until you reach the Select Fields page.
- Move the homeDirectory and homeDrive fields to the Selected Fields box and click Next.
- On the Field Map(s) page, click the Transform button in the homeDirectory attribute row.
- On the Transform dialog box, select Script - write a Visual Basic .NET script to assign a value programmatically from the Set the destination field to drop-down list and then click Edit Script to open the Script Editor.
- In the Script Editor, copy and paste the following script after customizing it. Test the script and click OK.
'Use the Format \\<MachineName>\<FolderName>
DTM.Result = ("\\BOX-DC\Mydriv$" & DTM.Source("First") & "." & DTM.Source("Last"))
- On the Field Map(s) page, click the Transform button in the homeDrive attribute row.
- On the Transform dialog box, select Static – assign a static value from the Set the destination field to drop-down list. Provide the drive letter and click OK to close the dialog box.
- On the Field Map(s) page, click Edit Global Script.
- In Global Script Editor, click Tools > Add/Remove Reference. On the Add Reference dialog box, click Browse.
- Go to: x:\ProgramFiles\Imanami\GroupID8.x\Synchronize\Power Tools and select Imanami.Synchronize.ActiveDirectoryTool.dll. Click Open and then OK.
- In Global Script Editor, locate the DTM_RowAdded event and paste the following script:
ActiveDirectoryTool.CreateHomeDirectory("box.com" & "\" & args.StagingDestination("SamAccountName"), "\\BOX-DC\Mydriv$")
- Click Build > Compile Script. On successful compilation, close the editor.
- Go through the remaining pages of the New Job/Edit Job wizard and click Finish to create the job.
- Run the job.
- On successful run, the attributes will be populated and users will be able to see HomeDrive mapped.
GroupID Online Help: Synchronize