GroupID 8 and above - Self-Service
Using GroupID Self-Service, is it possible to add multi-valued attributes to the Self-Service portal?
This article guides you on how to add a multi-valued attribute in the Self Service portal. As an example here, we will add the multi-valued attribute, carLicense, in the portal.
Active Directory objects can have different types of attributes. The two basic types are:
Most Active Directory properties are single-valued; meaning that the attribute can hold only one value. Names, for example, are single-valued; a user can have only one distinguished name, one SAM Account name, one first name, one last name, and so on.
On the other hand, a multi-valued attribute can contain either a single value or multiple values. Take phone numbers, for example. A person can have more than one home phone number or more than one cell phone number. Therefore, the multi-valued attributes act as a single attribute that could contain a whole bunch of values. For example, a multi-valued attribute can hold as many additional home phone numbers as you might have (555-1111; 555-2222; 555-3333, and more).
Note that Active Directory does not create attributes with empty values. Either the attribute contains a valid value or it does not exist for the object. Also, each value of a multi-valued attribute must be unique.
GroupID Self-Service enables you to add multi-valued attributes in the portal. For example, you can add the carLicense attribute to the user’s profile page.
- In GroupID Management Console, select Self-Service > Portals > [required portal] > Designs > [required identity store].
- On the Properties tab, select User from the Select Directory Object list.
- Select General in the Name list and click Edit.
- On the Edit Design Category dialog box, click Add.
- Select the *carLicense attribute in the Field list, enter the display name as carLicense and set the display type to MultiValue.
- Click OK on the dialog boxes and then click the Save icon at the top of the page to save the settings.
- Launch the Self-Service portal. You would be able to see the new multi-valued box with the name carLicense on the General tab in user properties.
- To add a license number, click Add, enter the license number and click OK. Since this is a multi-valued attribute, you can add multiple license numbers.
- Click Save at the top of the page.
You would be able to view the license numbers added to the user's profile.
GroupID online help topic: Customizing Properties Pages