GroupID 10 & above – Self-Service
Unless you are the CEO, every user in your organization must have an immediate supervisor or a manager. This creates a hierarchal structure to ensure that no user is left unmanaged.
The managedBy attribute in Active Directory stores the manager object for a user. This attribute may need to be updated for a user when:
- this attribute is ignored while provisioning the user in the directory.
- a user’s manager changes, but the attribute is not updated to reflect the change.
It is imperative that user information should remain current in the directory, including the managedBy attribute.
Is there any provision in GroupID to provide actionable information to GroupID administrators to set managers for users without managers? Or to force users to update the information about their managers in their directory profiles?
GroupID not only helps you identify users without managers, it can also suggest managers for users based on a data-driven approach.
Following are three distinct functions in GroupID to tackle this scenario:
- The Users without manager report shows all users without managers in an identity store.
- The Self-Service portal can suggest managers for users without managers. You can select a suggested option to set the user’s manager.
- The User Profile Validation function in GroupID is another check to ensure that user info remains current. Users must validate their directory profiles at regular intervals to avoid inconvenience
For details, see How To: Force Users to Validate their Directory Profiles.
This article discusses the Manager Suggestion functionality.
Configuration for Manager Suggestion:
To enable the Self-Service portal to suggest managers for users without managers, you must enable the Suggest Owner/Manager setting for a portal.
- In GroupID Management Console, select Self-Service > Portals > [required portal] > Server.
- Click the Settings tab and scroll down to the Suggest Owner/Manager setting.
This setting sets the Self-Service portal to suggest owners for orphan groups and managers for users without managers.
- Select the True option button to allow GroupID to suggest a primary manager for a user without one (on the Organization tab in user properties).
The manager is suggested with respect to the user’s department (let’s refer to this user as User A); if the department is not specified, the manager suggestion does not work.
GroupID checks the primary managers of all users who have the same department as User A, and the user who shows up most as a manager is suggested as User A’s primary manager.
- Click the Save icon on the toolbar.
- On the Identity Stores tab, make sure that your required identity store is linked to the portal.
How Manager Suggestion works in the Portal:
Log into the Self-Service portal. Go to the properties page of a user and click the Organization tab.
Notice that a manager has been suggested for the user.
- Click Make Manager to set the suggested object as the user’s primary manager.
- If you want to look at other manager options before setting a manager, click Show more options to view a list of suggested managers.
Once you’re done, make sure you save the information.