GroupID 10 & above – Self-Service
History logs are indispensable to software applications. While they help us track everything about an action and its doer, they still leave many questions unanswered.
These unanswered questions arise largely from an increasing need to know why a user performed a specific action, or what may be the justification for an update.
Wouldn’t it be a good idea to enable users to add comments for actions, particularly critical ones, that they perform using GroupID. These comments would help other users understand why a change was made.
GroupID enables a user to add notes to history items that were logged as a result of any change he or she made. A note may explain the reason for making a certain change, such as why he or she changed the security type for a group.
Only the user who added the note can update it. Other users can view this note; they cannot edit it or add comments.
How to Add a Note:
The Self-Service portal displays history logs in three main categories:
- My History
- My Direct Reports History
- My Groups History
To view the history of your actions, click History on the left navigation bar. Then click the My History/My Direct Reports History/My Groups History tab.
History data is available in two modes: Detailed view and Administrative view. Notes can be added to history items in the Detailed view only. You can:
Add a note
The Add Note button is available next to a history item when you are the user who performed the action.
- Click Add Note next to a history item to add a note to it.
- In the Add Note dialog box, write a note and click Add Note to save it.
Your note can have a maximum of 500 characters.
Once you add a note, the Add Note button changes to View Note. All portal users can use this button to view the note.
Edit a note
You can only edit the notes that you have added.
- Click the View Note button next to a history item to view or edit the note for it.
- On the Note dialog box, click the Edit Note button and update the note.
- Click Update Note to save the changes.
View a note
Once a note is added, other users can view it, but they cannot edit it or add comments to it.
- In the Detailed view:
Click the View Note button next to a history item to view the note for it.
- In the Administrative view:
The Note column displays the note.
Remove a note
You can remove the notes that you have added.
- Click the View Note button next to a history item to view or remove the note for it.
- Click the Edit Note button and remove the note.
- Click Update Note.
GroupID Online Help