GroupID 8, 9, 10 - Automate
Automate's Transfer Ownership wizard provides a convenient way to assign ownership to orphan groups in your domain and to transfer primary and additional group ownerships (including Exchange 2010/2013/2016/2019 additional ownerships) from one recipient to another.
Depending on the number of groups and the amount of available bandwidth between GroupID and the Exchange Server or the directory server, this process may take several minutes.
To transfer the ownership of groups:
- In GroupID Management Console, select Automate, right-click All Groups and select Transfer Ownership Wizard.
The wizard opens to the Welcome page. Click Next.
- On the Select Group Filter page, click Browse and select the organizational unit, domain, or the entire directory. Your selection determines where the wizard searches for the groups to transfer their ownership. The smaller the selection, the less time it takes to carry out the transfer.
- Specify whether to search for groups in sub-containers by selecting or clearing the Include sub-containers check box.
The scope of this setting varies, depending on the container that you selected in the previous step. The following table explains the actual structures searched when you select the Include sub-containers option:
Selected Container Selecting Include sub-containers Organizational Unit Includes the sub-organizational units in the search for required groups. Domain Includes all organizational units and their sub-trees in the search for required groups. Entire Directory Searches the entire forest; the Include sub-containers setting has no effect. Note: For Active Directory, if the search container is set to Global Catalog and ExtensionData is not replicated to the Global Catalog, additional ownership of the groups will not be transferred.
- In the Owned by area, select one of the following:
- No one – To change the ownership of groups having no owner.
- This recipient – To change the ownership of groups managed by a particular recipient. This option includes all groups for which the selected recipient is the primary owner, additional owner, or Exchange 2010/2013/2016 additional owner. After selecting this option, click Browse and use the Find dialog box to select the required recipient.
- Click the Preview button to see the groups owned by the selected recipient.
- Click OK to close the preview and click Next.
- On the Select New Owner page, click Browse to locate and select a new owner. You can only select a contact, user, or security group as an owner.
- Click Next. The Transferring ownership page displays the transfer progress and a log of all completed transfers. Click Next.
- The Completing the Transfer Ownership wizard page displays the distinguished names of the successfully processed groups and errors, if any.
- Click Finish to close the wizard.
How To: Change the owner for multiple groups
GroupID Online Help topic: Transferring group ownership