GroupID 8 - Automate
We have a dynasty that consists of a number of child distribution lists (DLs). We have a requirement to set message restrictions on this dynasty, so that only selected users or groups can send email to the dynasty and its child groups.
We know how to set message restrictions for individual groups in group properties, but is there a way by which these restrictions, when set for a parent dynasty, are inherited by all its child dynasties?
Dynasty children inherit the characteristics and properties of their parent. These characteristics include group type (in the case of Active Directory), group security, expiry policy, owner, delivery restrictions, message size restrictions, and so on. Inheritance saves a considerable amount of time that would otherwise be spent in creating separate groups and defining the properties for each.
To make sure that dynasty children inherit the message restriction settings, you need to verify that the Active Directory attributes that store the values for the settings are passed from parent to child.
To verify, please follow these steps:
- In GroupID Management Console, click the Identity Stores node.
- Right click your required identity store and select Properties.
- On the Identity Stores Properties window, select the Configuration tab and click the Dynasties option in the left pane.
- In the Attributes to inherit section, move the required attributes from the Available Attributes box to the Selected Attributes box.
Dynasty children inherit the values of all attributes listed in the Selected Attributes box.
The following table lists the attributes that store the values for the message restriction settings. Make sure these attributes are listed in the Selected Attributes box, so that they are inherited by dynasty children from their respective parents.
Unauthorig Reject from mailboxes authorig Accept from mailboxes dlMemRejectPrems Reject from distribution groups dlMemSubmitPrems Accept from distribution groups
- Click OK.
- For a parent dynasty, make sure that the Always inherit selected attributes option is selected. With this, child dynasties will always inherit the specified attributes from their parents upon update.
- To select this option, launch the Properties dialog box for the parent dynasty.
- On the GroupID tab, click Options in the Advanced area.
- On the Dynasty Options dialog box, you will find the inheritance options on the Advanced tab.
- GroupID Online Help topic: Setting Dynasty preferences
- GroupID Online Help topic: Dynasty Options